As you can already tell from the title of this post, the name of the latest batch of cupcakes is a mouthful. Just kidding, that’s an understatement. So, to make things easier on everyone, we’ll just refer to them as “little slices of heaven”. Sounds perfectly acceptable to me.
I chose to make these because although coco based chocolate is delightful, my favorite is white chocolate. Sue me. I tend to like lighter cakes, mainly ones that are vanilla and spiced based, because usually regular chocolate is just too rich for my taste buds. When I found this recipe from pamperedchef.com (http://www.pamperedchef.com/recipe_search/recipe.jsp?id=100348), I was slightly concerned that it would be a vanilla overload, and it would just be too much. For the first time in my life, I was thankful to be wrong.
I made a few slight alterations to the recipe, and those will be located at the end of it, like normal. For the most part, though, I kept everything the same. And without further adieu…
1 ¾ cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup whole milk
½ tsp double strength vanilla
4 egg whites at room temp
6 tbsp butter, softened
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup sour cream
12 round white chocolate truffles, unwrapped
6 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
1 package (8 ounces) of cream cheese, softened
¼ cup butter
½ tsp double strength vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Place paper liners in wells of regular muffin pan. Whisk flour and baking powder together. Combine milk and vanilla in same bowl. In a regular mixing bowl, beat egg whites on high speed of electric mixer until stiff peaks form. In separate bowl, beat butter and granulated sugar on medium-high speed until fluffy; beat in sour cream until smooth. On medium speed, add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with milk mixture in two additions, mixing until smooth. Whisk in one-third of the egg whites with a wisk. Fold in remaining egg whites using whisk. Using a large spoon, divide batter evenly among liners.will melt into cupcakes.)
- Bake 17-20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Remove pans. Immediately snip a 1/2-inch-deep (1-cm) “x” into top of each cupcake using a knife or scissors. Press one truffle into each cupcake until flush with top of cupcake. Remove cupcakes from pan. Cool 30 minutes or to room temperature. (Truffles will melt into cupcakes.)
- Meanwhile, for frosting, place white chocolate in a microwaveable bowl. Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH 1-1 1/2 minutes or until chocolate is mostly melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Let stand 3 minutes or until slightly cooled. In clean Stainless (4-qt./4-L) Mixing Bowl, combine melted chocolate, cream cheese, butter and vanilla; using clean beaters, beat on medium speed until well blended. Slowly add powdered sugar; beat well.
1) I used regular vanilla instead of this “extra strength” business. Oops. Still amazing.
2) Have you seen prices for Linden truffles recently? No? Well let me inform you then: you would need to mortgage your house in order to buy enough for this recipe. I used Hershey Bliss white chocolate candies, and let me tell you, they were pretty blissful.