Happy National Dessert Day everybody!!
Possibly definitely my favorite day of the year, no questions asked. Better than Christmas, even, although some of you will most likely debate me on that. In honor of this magical day, I present you with a mind blowing fall themed cupcake: Apple Cinnamon. Let’s just take a second for those two special words to sink in. They’re beautiful together, aren’t they?
Normally, I am not too fond of fruit cupcakes. They’re too muffin-y for my liking, and I am a big fan of differentiating between muffins and cupcakes. They’re different. Completely different. I don’t make muffins, they’re just not my forte.
But these. These are just. I don’t even know how to describe them, other than by using the word perfect. They’re an amazing mixture of sweet and fruity, and the chunks of apple do not ruin the texture at all- they perfect the texture. For the frosting, I just made my own variation of the regular cream cheese frosting that I normally use. If you plan on making these, prepare to have your mind blown. Recipe is below like normal, happy cupcaking!
Also, to make this National Dessert Day just that much more special, I present you with a little Ryan Gosling…
Apple Spice Cupcakes
makes 18 cupcakes
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 small apples, chopped into fine pieces (about 1.5 cups)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line muffin pan with baking cups. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, melted butter, sugars, milk, and vanilla until completely smooth. Set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Slowly add the wet ingredients and stir until JUST combined. Do not overmix. Slowly mix in the apples.
- Fill each baking cup about 2/3 full and bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Mine took 22 minutes. Allow to cool and frost.
- 8 ounces of cream cheese
- 3 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup nonsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Beat all ingredients together, and feel free to add more powdered sugar to make the frosting thicker.